re: (TLS) Authorization Extensions

2009-02-11 17:03:04
To Whom It May Concern;

I am writing to ask you not to approve the proposed patent-encumbered standard
for TLS authorisation. To do so would fly in the face of the IETF's fundamental
commitment to openness. It would weaken not just the standard itself, but the
IETF's authority in this sphere. At a time when there is increasing awareness
of the importance of supporting truly open standards that can be implemented by
anybody without recourse to licensing, it would be a truly retrograde step to
allow this patent-encumbered standard to be approved.

I urge the IETF to send a strong signal in support of open standards by
rejecting the proposal.
Signed and read,

 Lance Parker
Enterprise Computing Services Engineer