"TLS authorization"

2009-02-12 12:46:05

Dear IETF

I read on the Free Software Foundation's website tonight on how you plan to
recommend a communication protocol that has a patent on it. I believe this is a
horrible idea as the world wide web was founded on patent free standards; the
W3 continued existence is because the web standards body W3C refuses any
technology with patents on it. As Bill Gates as said when Microsoft was young:
“If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of today’s
ideas were invented, and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a
complete standstill today.” Giving RedPhone Security a monopoly on
communication is unacceptable and hurts this economy in a time where it can't
take another hit without falling. I ask that you please reject this standard;
using patent free technology.

John Wyatt