Re: Please reject the patent-encumbered proposed standard for TLS authorization

2009-02-12 18:00:36
Dear Noel,

It's unfortunate, but I know of no way to tell the difference between an email address that's the main point of contact for an organization and an email address that distributes to a huge mailing list. I sent email to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, naively assuming that the Internet Engineering Task Force was established enough to have an office somewhere with a secretary who read the emails and forwarded those of interest to the appropriate people.

Had I known ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org was an email list, I wouldn't have emailed the list. However, having inadvertently done so, I hope I won't be accused of repeat mailbombing for sending this explanation in response to your accusation.

If you'd like to suggest a way I can tell whether an email address represents a single individual or an email list, I'm all ears.

   Mark Rosenthal

Noel Chiappa wrote:
Thank you for being part of a crowd of hundreds of people who have mailbombed
the mailboxes of thousands of IETF 'members' (since we don't have any formal
membership, just an email list). As a result, we all have such positive
feeling about the FSF.

        Noel