Re: RE proposed standard draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07

2009-02-12 18:03:02
Thank you, Noel, for the followup.

I would like you to realize, though, that many people will see a vast
difference between approving a standard that may (or may not) be encumbered by
an unforeseen patent and knowingly approving a standard with strings attached.
The difference is one of the reasons the FSF exists - to promote the awareness
that patenting of software hinders progress.  In this case, RedPhone's
licensing of TLS-authz (which looks to be a widely adoptable standard) is
incompatible with GPL, LGPL, Mozilla 1.1, and Apache2.0 licenses due to
restrictions in field-of-use.

The reason that hundreds of people wrote in at the last minute, Noel, is
because they were concerned.  They were concerned because of a push from the
FSF, and though the effect was irritating to those of you on the list, the
impetus was valid.   TLS-authz per this standard cannot be integrated into Free
Software - which is a major problem for anyone using a monolithic software or a
software without a plugin architecture that would including the functionality
outside the application's license.  If the IETF had detected these problems -
namely that the patent license required was incompatible with the licensing of
some double-digit percentage of the software effected - than we wouldn't have
bombed your list at the last minute in a last attempt to apprise you to this
problem.

Your quote:
It is also worth remembering that almost no technology is unencumbered these
days. Indeed, we mostly don't know when it is. So it's pretty naive to think
that the IETF (or anyone) can only approve unencumbered technology (despite
what we may wish).

Is invalid.  What this states is equivilent to "Eating an apple that might be
rotten tastes as bad as eating an apple that we know is."

peace,

Ryan McIntosh
Software Architect
PeaceWorks Computer Consulting