Re: [lisp] LISP: update to charter in external review

2009-04-02 11:17:01

Sam Hartman schrieb:
"Michael" == Michael Menth <menth(_at_)informatik(_dot_)uni-wuerzburg(_dot_)de>
writes:

    Michael> The sentence "who you are" is rather confusing to me
    Michael> although its intention is certainly to be a simple and
    Michael> catchy explanation. However, "you" - the user (?) is
    Michael> probably not an edge interface designator. "who you are"
    Michael> suggests that the identifier has something to do with the
    Michael> identity of some device or its owner (whoever "you" is)
    Michael> that would stay the same when moving around which is
    Michael> clearly not the case in this context.

    Michael> Wouldn't it be clearer to say: core Routing Locators
    Michael> (which describe "where" an edge network is attached to
    Michael> the Internet core) and edge interface designators (which
    Michael> describe to "which" interface a device is attached within
    Michael> an edge network)? I find this easier to understand and
    Michael> according to my understanding this is 100% in line with
    Michael> the third paragraph of the charter.

the second paragraph is intended to be far more general than LISP and
carefully avoids using any LISP terms.

Indeed, the second paragraph does not yet contain the word LISP, that's true, but somehow my expectation was that the second paragraph of the charter must be about LISP. And my expectation was confirmed by the word "Routing Locator" (uppercase) instead of simply "locator" (lowercase) and Identifier (uppercase) instead of "identifier" (lowercase). I read both uppercase words as proper names of a specific architecture which was LISP for me in this context. So, the removal of LISP-specific or LISP-like nomenclature was not yet fully successful. But I don't think that this was the major problem.

I think it is accurate,
although the pronoun "you" is unbound.  For LISP, it's an edge network
(in your vocabulary),a site in others' vocabulary, etc.  For HIPP, you
is bound to a something.  Some people would probably say stack,
although that's misleading as HIP explicitly supports stacks with
multiple HITs.  For shim6, you is bound to something close to stack,
although it's a bit more complicated than that.

The second paragraph has not undergone a lot of editing other than to
remove LISP-specific terms from the general description.  However, it
also has not drawn a lot of fire.

The unbound pronoun "you" really puzzled me. Your interpretation of the "you" with the examples of the other architectures makes sense to me, but the text says nothing about them. I rather read the text "Identifier (who you are)" as an implicit definition of what an identifier is, namely a name that has something to do with my identity or that of my devices. I found this implicit definition a contradition to how an identifier is used in the third paragraph.

I did not carefully follow all the discussions on this list, but I was curious about how the charter looks in the end. And when I saw the new charter I was just puzzled about the implicit definition of an identifier and its subsequent clarification of the opposite in LISP.

I certainly do not want to propose a specific changes to the charter, I was just wondering and wanted to give you feedback. You can apply changes if you think that my misunderstanding has something to do with the text.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science