Re: designate an email address for testing at any provider

2009-04-03 05:43:21
At 01:05 29-03-2009, Nick Levinson wrote:
A test-only email address should be recognized in standards, much as test-only domains exist (e.g., example.com and *.test), for similar purposes of having a token that can safely escape into the wild from internal use and documentation without fear of representing an actual account. I did not find an RFC or other standard providing this.

You can use user(_at_)example(_dot_)example or nick_levinson(_at_)levinson(_dot_)example(_dot_) These email addresses will result in a delivery failure if they are used on the Internet.

In a recent effort to get a bounce of an email with a large attachment so I could see its treatment (I needed the string the attachment would produce in the bounce message, since such a string previously caused a word processor to crash and I was filing a bug report), I sent an email addressed rather like i-hope-this-bounces-8658062682789896678967986892(_at_)example(_dot_)com (the domain was real). It quickly bounced and I got the string I wanted.

The main problem is finding a name-part or userinfo that no email provider uses now. That likely means it will be long or unusual, although it might turn out to be as simple as exampleexample. It is a problem since parties who wish obscurity, including spammers, often choose unlikely name-parts.

It is near impossible to find a name-part which no email provider uses as people use long and unusual name-parts too. There are also domains that use a "catch-all" for mail.

To discover what name-part to reserve for the purpose, here's one way:

[snip]

4. Check the name-parts against several of the major email service providers' rosters, simply by emailing with trivial personal-like messages. To test if a provider silently drops, if nothing bounces from a given provider, drop the provider from this round. Any name-part that fails to bounce against even one remaining provider checked would be dropped from the compilation, as presumably a customer is using it, and we don't want to disturb any customers.

It is better to ask the email service provider instead of spamming its users.

13. Mandate that all email addressed to a name-part so promulgated be bounced. It must not be received or silently dropped. A provider must not record any of its headers, read any part of the email, or keep a copy, since that possibility alone would require at least some senders to keep copies of what they send to test recipients.

Nowadays, your mail server can get blacklisted when it sends bounces. The mandate you propose will be ignored.

As this relies on phases as email service providers become aware of requirements, a schedule spread over months or a year or two should suffice. I think the burden on any party is small, other than for compiling and maintaining the list of possible name-parts.

An optimistic schedule would be ten years.

There are a large number of senders that do not know to which email address the bounces go to. Designating an email address for testing will only conflate the problem. Some mail servers only include the original message headers in the bounce.