Re: DNS over SCTP

2009-05-29 14:04:16
Dean Anderson wrote:

TCP is used by many, if not all, resolvers to get large responses.

And I'm working on changes to DJBDNS dnscache that enable a
configuration option to use TCP by default and fall back to UDP if TCP is not available.

As that would increase security, I imagine that many operators will like to have it ready, just in case. However, I don't think many will enable that option, because of performance reasons. Enabling keep-alive is not practical, because slow queries would become a bottleneck. I haven't tried SCTP yet, but since it can have multiple streams, it should support keeping alive connections with the preferred resolvers. That would make the connection overhead imperceivable.

See my NTIA comments on DNSSEC at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dns/comments/comment027.pdf for details on the
DDOS attack in DNSSEC.

Independently of who discovered the attack, Kaminsky's calculations on the probabilities of poisoning a server, given that the attacker knows exactly what the server is going to query, look correct. While guessing port and query id may succeed in with a workable probability, adding an SCTP TSN would drastically reduce them. I guess the very fact that this simple (possibly retrofittable) solution has not come out may be a further sign of conspiracy, if that's what you look for.