Re: DNS Additional Section Processing Globally Wrong

2009-06-04 08:47:56
Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

Glue data, additional and non-authoritative by design, intent and
specification, aren't what I want caches to keep.

You had better cache glue As, as long as they are tagged as glue
As with a domain name of query.

Then, the cached information may be used as glue in additional
section but not in answer section.

It is not a problem if a glue A in additional section is cached
and reused as a glue A in additional section to similar query.

As a matter of fact, it never occurred to me to wonder at this
misbehaviour

The misbehavior was present because most, if not all,
implementations cache both glue and authoritative answers but
did not distinguish them by appropriate tagging.

As I have been warning on the problem for these 15 years, some
implementation may hopefully be fixed.

                                                        Masataka Ohta