Re: DNSSEC is NOT secure end to end (more tutorial than debating)

2009-06-05 00:26:51

In message
<4A285750(_dot_)9010104(_at_)necom830(_dot_)hpcl(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp>,
 Masataka Ohta writes:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

Though we have to trust the zone administration put correct referral
and glue data in a master zone file, unless we use DNSSEC, we don't
have to trust the zone administration never issue certificates over
forged keys of child zones.

If an attacker can get its bogus data into the referring zone,

I never said such a thing.

I said "issue certificates over forged keys of child zones".

The attack is possible by those who have access to signature
generation mechanisms and the attack is not visible until the
false certificates are used later.

People introduced DNSSEC believing DNSSEC makes cache poisoning
not a problem, are ready to accept false certificates through
unprotected cache.

Thus, we must, anyway, protect cache.

Then, where is the point to introduce DNSSEC only to have another
possibility of security holes?

We still lock doors and windows despite the possiblity of people
breaking in by lifting tiles.  Attacks at the registry level are the
equivalient of lifting tiles.  It happens sometimes.  Locking the
doors and windows stops most attacks however.

                                              Masataka Ohta

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org