RE: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-14

2009-06-08 14:53:55
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your third Gen-ART review of this document.  My responses are
inline below, with the exception of the Minor issue you highlight to
which I responded in a separate email.

Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Campbell [mailto:ben(_at_)estacado(_dot_)net]
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:58 PM
To: General Area Review Team; Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00);
james(_dot_)winterbottom(_at_)andrew(_dot_)com;
martin(_dot_)thomson(_at_)andrew(_dot_)com;
barbara(_dot_)stark(_at_)att(_dot_)com
Cc: Richard Barnes; acooper(_at_)cdt(_dot_)org; Cullen Jennings;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Gen-ART LC Review of
draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-14

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer
for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-14
Reviewer: Ben Campbell
Review Date: 2009-06-04
IETF LC End Date: 2009-06-09
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

This draft is ready for publication as a proposed standard. I have a few
editorial and clarity comments that might could slightly improve the
draft, but can safely be ignored. Additionally, I have one comment
highlighting a "feature" that is not necessarily a problem, but is
architecturally important enough that I want to make sure the IESG
thinks about it.

Major issues: None.

Minor issues:

-- There is one feature of HELD that the ADs should explicitly think
about: The HTTP binding forbids LIS reliance on HTTP digest or basic
authentication. If I understand correctly, this means effectively that
the _only_ method for client authentication is the built in reverse
routeability test. I am agnostic as to whether this is sufficient.

Nits/editorial comments:

-- section 4, paragraph 1:

Please expand (and reference) PIDF-LO on first mention.
[MB] Okay.

-- Section 6.2, value list:

-- In my previous review, I was confused as to the relationship between
the geodetic/civic and LoBV/LoBR choices. I think it's worth some
clarification in this section that geodetic and civic imply LoBV.

[MB] Okay, how about the following:
OLD:
   geodetic:  The LIS SHOULD return a geodetic location for the Target.
   civic:  The LIS SHOULD return a civic address for the Target.

NEW:
   geodetic:  The LIS SHOULD return a location by value in the form of a

              geodetic location for the Target.
   civic:  The LIS SHOULD return a location by value in the form of
           a civic address for the Target.

-- section 9.3, 5th paragraph: "A temporary spoofing of IP address could
mean that a device could request a Location Object or Location URI that
would result in another Device's location."

It might be worth clarifying that (if I understand correctly) that this
is more than a spoofing attack, in that the attacker must not only spoof
its source address, but must be able to receive packets sent to the
spoofed address?

[MB] That statement was intended to include both those items, I'd
propose to clarify as follows:
NEW:
A temporary spoofing of IP address could mean that a device could
request a Location Object or Location URI that would result in receiving
another Device's location if the attacker is able to receive packets
sent to the spoofed address.

-- same paragraph: "... re-use of the Device's
    IP address could result in another Device receiving the original
    Device's location rather than its own location."

It seems like this problem is pretty unlikely to occur by _accident_
when HELD is used over TCP (the only binding right now), right? And
certain not to happen over TLS? Might be worth a "mitigating" mention.
[MB] Certainly, it is fairly unlikely (if not impossible in most
situations), but the recommendations in the bullet points further reduce
the potential for problems in the off chance that this occurs.  It's not
entirely clear to me why you suggest this is certain not to happen over
TLS since this is talking about a device that has dropped and thus the
connection would drop and it would seem there's a window for another
device (although quite unlikely) to use that same IP address. But,
perhaps, qualifying the statement as follows would address your concern:
OLD:
  These exposures are limited by the following:

NEW:
  While these situations are fairly unlikely to occur (in particular
with the use of TCP/TLS), the exposures can be further limited by the
following: