Re: Last Call: draft-green-secsh-ecc (Elliptic-Curve Algorithm Integration in the Secure Shell Transport Layer) to Informational RFC

2009-06-19 11:41:33
On 2009-Jun-18, at 11:59 PM, Russ Housley wrote:

Simplicity.  In my opinion, compressed keys provide little benefit in
practice.  Certainly for ECDH there's no reason to use them.  I would
be willing to consider it as a MAY for ECDSA so that signing public
keys can be reused between standards.

I understand the desire for simplicity, but if someone has a certificate where point compression was used, do we want to have it rejected? It seems like alignment with the other specifications offers better interoperability, right?

Okay, that's reasonable, and it seems like there's enough demand for it. I'll change it to a MAY for ECDH and ECDSA.

Douglas