Fwd: IETF Trust TLP

2009-06-23 15:13:32
Monte is Founder and Executive Contact, xiph.org, and is responsible (as much as any person)
for Ogg / Vorbis. He was also one of my sources from before.

Regards
Marshall

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christopher Montgomery <xiphmont(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Date: June 23, 2009 2:32:07 PM EDT
To: Marshall Eubanks <tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv>
Subject: Re: IETF Trust TLP

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Marshall Eubanks<tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv> wrote:

I would be curious as to your perspective on the "license by reference"
issue as instantiated and the entire TLP support of open source.

First, I Am Not A Lawyer, and since the legal implications are
probably the most important, I'm not going to be able to comment on
the most important aspect.

As a creator, I am personally interested in license clarity.  So long
as it's absolutely clear what the license is, a code component or
document clearly referencing the correct license is more than
sufficient for me.  In the simplest sense (the code simply saying,
"BSD license, see file") was one of the great 'improvements' at the
time over the MIT license, which required the license be part of the
code.  You ended up with many files consisting mostly of pages upon
pages of various licenses and copyrights rather than code itself.

Coding is a massively collaborative exercise, and the licensing and
attribution have to scale.

Or am I missing completely what you're asking?

No, that was it.

Monty