Re: Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-06-24 06:02:31
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv>
To: "ietf list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "IAB IAB" <iab(_at_)iab(_dot_)org>;
"IESG" <iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Trustees" <trustees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:32 AM
Subject: Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

The IETF Trustees invite your comments on the proposed revisions to
the "Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents" (TLP) policy.  The
proposed revisions are in rtf, pdf and doc formats and located at:
http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html
  under Draft Policies and Procedures for IETF Documents.

This is a summary of the proposed revisions:

2.e -- the review period for TLP changes has been changed from 30 to
14 days, which is consistent with the last-call period for other IETF
documents

2.f -- this new language describes the conditions under which the IETF
Trust will assume licensing and copyright responsibility for IAB, IRTF
and Independent Stream submissions, should the managers of those
streams request that it do so.

4.a -- the URL for the list of Code Components has been updated

4.c -- clarifies that the BSD License may not be applied to Code
Components that come from IETF Documents as to which the Contributor
has prohibited the making of derivative works.

I like this change because it also makes it clear that even when 6.c.iii clause
is included because RFC5378 rights have not been obtained, yet code can still be
modified outside the standards process.   The TLP currently in force gives my
lay mind the impression that that right had been withdrawn and my query about
this last February never got answered.  So yes, I like it.

Tom Petch

4.e -- this new section clarifies the legend requirements for Code
Components that are used in software under the BSD License. In short,
the user must include the full BSD License text or a shorter pointer
to it (which is set forth in Section 6.d)

6 -- the language regarding placement of legends on IETF Documents has
been clarified.  Placement on the "first page" is no longer required,
and authority for placement of the legends is  with the RFC Editor and
IESG.

6.a - the words "to IETF" have been removed, to enable submission to
IAB, IRFT and other streams.

6.b -- a new sentence has been added to the legend that must be placed
on all IETF Documents, pointing out the BSD License requirements
described in 4.e above and emphasizing that code in IETF Documents
comes without any warranty, as described in the BSD License.

6.c -- some minor clean-up edits

6.d -- the BSD legend/pointer described in 4.e above

7.a -- correction of capitalization

Please accept this message as a formal request by the IETF Trustees
for your review and feedback on the proposed revision to the TLP
document. The comment period will end on July 20, 2009.

I expect the Trustees will decide on whether to adopt this revision
shortly after July 20, 2009.

Regards, and thanks in advance,

Marshall Eubanks
IETF Trust Chair