IETF languages, was: something about RFCs

2009-07-09 13:02:35
On 9 jul 2009, at 18:15, james woodyatt wrote:

B) is open for debate: what precisely should be the set of primary natural languages used in IETF documents? Should it continue to be English only? I'd very much prefer to see *that* discussion vigorously deferred while our archival format continues to be the largest practical obstacle to multilingualism.

There are two things that together make it completely impossible to adopt more working languages:

1. We don't have any other languages in common than English
2. We don't have the money for translation/interpretation services

Dus als we naast Engels ook andere talen gaan gebruiken betekent dat dat de niet-Engelse documenten maar door een deel van de IETF- participanten gelezen kan worden, wat natuurlijk niet de bedoeling is.

Or:

So if we start using other languages in addition to English then the non-English documents can only be read by part of the IETF- participants, which of course defeats the purpose.

Now I'd be very happy to be able to conduct IETF business in Dutch, but I'd be very much opposed to having to learn a new language to participate in the IETF. It took me long enough to learn English...