Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-opsawg-syslog-snmp-03

2009-07-10 17:28:24
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-opsawg-syslog-snmp-03
Reviewer: Ben Campbell
Review Date: 2009-07-10
IETF LC End Date: 2009-07-13
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

This draft is very close to ready for publication as a proposed standard. I have a few minor comments that may be worth considering, as well as a small number of nits and editorial comments.

Major issues:

None

Minor issues:

-- section 2.1, last paragraph: "...format must be translated..."

Is that a normative MUST?

-- section 3.2, 2nd to last paragraph: "... must be compliant ..."

Normative MUST?

-- Security Considerations:

It might be worth having a paragraph discussing how closely the access control policy mechanisms for SNMP can be mapped into SYSLOG.

Nits/editorial comments:

-- section 3, first diagram:

The preceding paragraph states that you have exactly one SYSLOG message for each SNMP notification, but the diagram shows 3 SNMP notifications and 2 SYSLOG messages. Is it reasonable for the SYSLOG originator to be able to know and enforce SNMP access control policies? (I'm not saying it's not--just that I don't know.)