Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-extractor (Keying Material

2009-07-21 13:13:30
Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

I'd propose to add this text to the standard:
This protocol MUST NOT be used with RFC4492, RFC5289 and
draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb.

How much longer are we going to beat that dead horse?

I'm not aware of information that the Certicom patents apply to
TLS extractors.

I'm not even aware of information that Certicom claims that the
patent applies to TLS extractors when ECC crypto is used.

The information that I've seen is that the Certicom patent claim
"covers" TLS extractors when TLS is used with ECC crypto, and
they acutally imply that their patents claims "cover" pretty much all
standards around TLS when TLS is used with ECC crypto.

TLS extractors is essentially the TLS PRF exposed with an API,
so really, for IP lawyers, TLS with extractors has the exact same
attack surface as TLS without TLS extractors.

-Martin