Re: Actual IPv6 deployment observed

2009-07-27 10:30:27

On Jul 27, 2009, at 3:02 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 27 jul 2009, at 9:43, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

This must mean that silently enabling IPv6 increases the number of people for whom IPv6 works by a factor of around 100 (from <0.01% in the general population

(http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2008/08/the-end-is-near-but-is- ipv6/ said <0.01%.)

The 0.01% they talk about is TRAFFIC, not USERS. And it's bogus anyway.

Not that I want to have this discussion here again (folks should
revisit the archives), but it is not bogus, you just have to understand
what's being measured - and continues to be measured (and the same
measurement is today about 20x that .0025% from last August - I'll
write something up on this (with details again on methodology) within
the next month or two.

For instance, just the traffic through the AMS-IX is many times more than what they measured:

AMS-IX is an anomaly and not representative of the global Internet
in this regard, _IMO.  Then again, it is another data point, and
so long as folks know what's being measured, it is simply another
data point.

http://www.ams-ix.net/technical/stats/sflow/

(Note that they use meaningless lying graphs = don't start at 0.)

At AMS-IX, native IPv6 traffic is now 0.3% on average, up from 0.1% a year or so ago. When I did some web bug measurements years ago my results where about 0.16% IPv6 users (1 in 666). Last year, Google got 0.25%.

To your point, that Google stat was users,not traffic.  I suspect
their traffic rates are much lower than that :-)

-danny