Gen-ART review of draft-seokung-msec-mikey-seed-03

2009-08-04 22:06:19
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer for
this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD before posting a
new version of the draft.

Document: draft-seokung-msec-mikey-seed-03
Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
IETF LC End Date: 2009-08-07
Review Date: 2009-08-03
IESG Telechat date: (not known)

    Addition of the new values to use the SEED Cipher Algorithm in the
                   Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY)

Spencer (clarity): I would suggest a possible title change to something like "IANA Registry Update for SEED Cipher Algorithm Support in "Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY)" - it wasn't clear that this was an IANA request until I was about halfway through the draft. Please check this with your document shepherd, before submitting an update with a new title!

Abstract

  This document proposes the addition of new values to use the SEED
  block cipher algorithm for the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol
  (SRTP) and the secure Real-time Transport Control Protocol (SRTCP) in
  Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY).

Spencer (clarity): I would suggest something like s/This document proposes the addition of new values to use/This document updates IANA registries to support/, both here and in the Introduction (same paragraph, with references added, so same comment).

1. Introduction

  This document proposes the addition of new values to use the SEED
  [RFC4269] block cipher algorithm for the Secure Real-time Transport
  Protocol (SRTP) and the Secure Real-time Transport Control Protocol
  (SRTCP) [RFC3711] in Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY) [RFC3830].

1.1. SEED

  SEED is a Korean National Industrial Association standard and is
  widely used in South Korea for electronic commerce and various
  security products such as firewall, VPN, and so on.

Spencer (clarity): I think the following paragraph should be the first paragraph in this section (the previous paragraph is fine, but the following paragraph is the most helpful to the reader).

  SEED is a 128-bit symmetric key block cipher that has been developed
  by KISA (Korea Information Security Agency) and a group of experts
  since 1998. The input/output block size of SEED is 128-bit and the
  key length is also 128-bit. SEED has a 16-round Feistel structure.

2.1. Modified Table 6.10.1.b from [RFC3830]

  For the Encryption algorithm, a one byte length is enough. The

Spencer (clarity): I'm not sure what you mean by "a one byte length is enough" - is this saying that space is available in the registry table? Or something else? I have the same comment about the same text in section 2.2.

  currently defined possible values are:

  SRTP encr alg | Value
--------------------- NULL | 0
  AES-CM        |     1
  AES-F8        |     2
  SEED-CTR      |     3 (NEW)
  SEED-CCM      |     4 (NEW)
  SEED-GCM      |     5 (NEW)

  Figure 1: Table 6.10.1.b from [RFC3830] (Revised)

2.2. Modified Table 6.10.1.d from [RFC3830]

  For the SRTP pseudo-random function, a one byte length is also
  enough. The currently defined possible values are:

  SRTP PRF      | Value
--------------------- AES-CM | 0
  SEED-CTR      |     1 (NEW)

  Figure 2: Table 6.10.1.d from [RFC3830] (Revised)

3. Security Considerations

  No security problem has been found on SEED. SEED is secure against
  all known attacks including Differential cryptanalysis, linear

Spencer (minor): I would suggest dropping the first sentence.

  cryptanalysis, and related key attacks. The best known attack is only

Spencer (minor): should this be "The only known attack is an exhaustive search for the key"?

  an exhaustive search for the key. For further security
considerations, the reader is encouraged to read [SEED-EVAL].