Re: Gen-ART LC/Telechat review of draft-freed-sieve-in-xml-05

2009-08-14 08:20:19
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

-- Section 4.2, paragraph 5: " ... SHOULD use the structured comment
format shown above."

Why not MUST? Wouldn't violation of this requirement introduce
interoperability problems between different implementations?

It's a SHOULD because the WG believed that there may be some exception cases
where an alternate format makes more sense.

Speaking as an implementor, who implemented something similar: I think SHOULD
is exactly right here. I would personally object to making this mandatory.