Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-14 12:44:33
Hi Ran,

I have specific responses in-line, but I'll start with a summary of sorts
for less patient readers.

IMHO, the current text places a responsibility on the IESG to deal with
"exceptional circumstances" but fails to provide the tools to execute that
responsibility.  After 27 years in government, I have a lot of experience
with assignment of responsibility without authority, and none of it was
positive.

I completely accept the community's consensus that IESG notes should be
reserved for the egregious cases, if any should emerge, but I would like to
see a process for achieving that goal where *necessary*.  Making notes
mandatory is one possible mechanism, although others might be preferable.  I
personally support the position outlined in Jari's 9/13/09 email...