Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-07

2009-09-29 18:40:32
Hi, Yakov,

Thanks for the quick response (I can still remember what I was thinking).

Thanks also for the explanation that you're not able to tighten a couple of SHOULDs to MUSTs because of previous specifications. Makes sense to me ("should be flogging the OTHER document").

I think we're agreeing on everything else, so that's fine.

We should be good to go with a revised draft with these changes, from my perspective.

Spencer

Spencer,

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).
you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp-07
Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
Review Date: 2009-09-17 (oops!)
IETF LC End Date: 2009-09-08
IESG Telechat date: (not known)

parse and seemed important.

Many thanks for your review and comments.

Response to your comments in-line...

Abstract

   This document describes the BGP encodings and procedures for
   exchanging the information elements required by Multicast in MPLS/BGP
   IP VPNs, as specified in [MVPN].

Spencer (nit): I'd expect the RFC Editor to remove a reference in the
Abstract section.

2. Introduction

   This document describes the BGP encodings and procedures for
   exchanging the information elements required by Multicast in MPLS/BGP
   IP VPNs, as specified in [MVPN]. This document assumes a thorough
   familiarity with procedures, concepts and terms described in [MVPN].

   This document defines a new NLRI, MCAST-VPN NLRI. The MCAST-VPN NLRI

Spencer (nit): I'd expect the RFC Editor to ask that abbreviations be
expanded on first use.

   is used for MVPN auto-discovery, advertising MVPN to I-PMSI tunnel
   binding, advertising (C-S, C-G) to S-PMSI tunnel binding, VPN
   customer multicast routing information exchange among PEs, choosing a
   single forwarder PE, and for procedures in support of co-locating a
   C-RP on a PE.

5. PMSI Tunnel attribute

   When a router that receives a BGP Update that contains the PMSI
   Tunnel attribute with its Partial bit set determines that the
   attribute is malformed, the router SHOULD treat this Update as though
   all the routes contained in this Update had been withdrawn.

Spencer (minor): why SHOULD in this case, and not MUST? (Note that similar
text occurs throughout this section)

This is to be consistent with draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-00.txt:

                Instead, when such an attribute is determined to be
  malformed, the UPDATE message containing that attribute SHOULD be
  treated as though all contained routes had been withdrawn just as if
  they had been listed in the WITHDRAWN ROUTES field of the UPDATE
  message, thus causing them to be removed from the Adj-RIB-In
  according to the procedures of [RFC4271].

   An implementation MUST provide debugging facilities to permit issues
   caused by malformed PMSI Tunnel attribute to be diagnosed. At a
   minimum, such facilities SHOULD include logging an error when such an
   attribute is detected.

Spencer (minor): If debugging facilities are a MUST, shouldn't the minimum
debugging facility be a MUST? :-) Or are there well-understood reasons
("MUST do X unless") that could be provided? (Note that similar text occurs
elsewhere in the draft)

We'll change it to "MUST include logging".

Btw, we will apply the same fix to the similar text in Section 8.

   The PMSI Tunnel attribute is used in conjunction with Intra-AS I-PMSI
   A-D routes, Inter-AS I-PMSI A-D routes, S-PMSI A-D routes, and Leaf
   A-D routes.

7. VRF Route Import Extended Community

   If a PE uses Route Target Constrain [RT-CONSTRAIN], the PE SHOULD
   advertise all such C-multicast Import RTs using Route Target
   Constrains (note that doing this requires just a single Route Target
   Constraint advertisement by the PE). This allows each C-multicast
   route to reach only the relevant PE. To constrain distribution of the
   Route Target Constrain routes to the AS of the advertising PE these
   routes SHOULD carry the NO_EXPORT Community ([RFC1997]).

Spencer (minor): I'm not sure I understand why these are SHOULDs and not
MUSTs. (Note that similar text occurs elsewhere in the draft) I note that
you give reasons why the similar text in Section 8 is not a MUST, using this
explanation:

The "SHOULD" is because use of Route Target Constrain in this case
is an optimization (as indicated in the second sentence in the above
paragraph).

"Note that if non-segmented inter-AS P-tunnels are being used, then
   the Intra-AS I-PMSI routes need to be distributed to other ASes and
   MUST NOT carry the NO_EXPORT community."

8. PE Distinguisher Labels Attribute

   The Next Hop field of the MP_REACH_NLRI attribute of the route SHOULD
   be set to the same IP address as the one carried in the Originating
   Router's IP Address field.

Spencer (minor): I'm not sure why this is a SHOULD and not a MUST, but if it is a SHOULD, I'd expect to see some guidance about what happens if it's not
observed - does the mechanism still work?

Actually this is not in Section 8, but in Sections 9.1.1. Similar
text is in 9.2.3.2,1, 9.2.3.4.1, and 12.1.

In all these occurences we'll replace "SHOULD" with "MUST".

10. Non-congruent Unicast and Multicast Connectivity

   It is possible to deploy MVPN such the multicast routing and the

Spencer (minor): is this "such that"? This is probably a nit but I'm having
to guess at the parsing.

The "guess" is correct. Will fix this.

   unicast routing are "non-congruent". For instance, the CEs may be
   distributing to the PEs a special set of unicast routes that are to
   be used exclusively for the purpose of upstream multicast hop
   selection, and not used for unicast routing at all. (For example,
   when BGP is the CE-PE unicast routing protocol, the CEs may be using
   SAFI 2 ("Network Layer Reachability Information used for multicast
   forwarding" [IANA-SAFI]), and either IPv4 or IPv6 AFI to distribute a
   special set of routes that are to be used for, and only for, upstream
   multicast hop selection.) In such a situation, we will speak of the
   MVPN as having two VRFs on a given PE, one containing the routes that
   are used for unicast, the other containing the unicast routes that
   are used for upstream multicast hop (UMH) selection. We will call the
   former the "unicast routing VRF", and the latter the "UMH VRF"
   (upstream multicast hop VRF).

11.4. C-multicast routes aggregation

   Further a BGP receiver, that receives multiple such routes with the
   same NLRI for the same C-multicast route, will potentially create
   forwarding state based on a single C-multicast route. As per the
   procedures described in Section "Receiving C-Multicast Routes by a
   PE", this forwarding state will be the same as the state that would
   have been created based an other route with same NLRI.

Spencer (nit): I'm pretty sure this is "based on another route" - but it
doesn't parse for me without help.

Correct. Will fix this.

12.1. Originating S-PMSI A-D routes

   In all of the above cases an implementation MUST allow to modify the
   default via configuration.

Spencer (minor): sorry, this doesn't parse. I'm guessing it's missing a
noun, but I can't suggest text.

We will replace

  By default the set of Route Targets carried by the route MUST be
  constructed as follow:

with

The route always carries a set of Route Targets. The default set of Route
 Targets is determined as follows:

and replace

  In all of the above cases an implementation MUST allow to modify the
  default via configuration.

with

 In each of the above cases, an implementation MUST allow the set of Route
 Targets carried by the route to be specified by configuration.  In the
 absence of a configured set of Route Targets, the route MUST carry the
 default set of route targets as specified above.

16.1.1. Dampening withdrawals of C-multicast routes

     + Until the withdrawls are actually sent, multicast traffic for the

Spencer (nit): s/withdrawls/withdrawals/g, because I saw other occurances in
the document...

Will fix this.

       C-multicast routes in question will be continued to be
       transmitted to the PE, which will just have to discard it. Note
       that the PE may receive useless (multicast) traffic anyway,
       irrespective of dampening of withdrawals of C-multicast routes
       due to the use of I-PMSIs.

17. Security Considerations

   The mechanisms described in this document could re-use the existing
   BGP security mechanisms.

Specer (minor): "could" seems awfully nebulous for security considerations :-) I'm guessing you could delete this sentence, but it needs help of some
sort.

18. IANA Considerations

Spencer (minor): I see from the ID tracker that IANA has already asked for
clarification on registration procedures ... :-)

And we already responded to that.

Yakov.