Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-sasl-scram-07

2009-10-05 12:13:07
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Ben Campbell <ben(_at_)estacado(_dot_)net>
wrote:
 [...]
Minor issues:
 [...]
-- section 4, first paragraph: "...as long as this alternative name doesn’t
conflict with any other hash function name from the IANA "Hash Function
Textual Names" registry."

What prevents future conflicts if someone registers a name that conflicts
with the short name?

Good point.

Should the short-names be IANA registered to prevent
this?

This is a good idea. I've added:
  Such alternative name SHOULD be registered in the IANA
  "Hash Function Textual Names" registry.

(Should future names be limited to 9 chars?)

I would rather not put extra restrictions on another registry due to
limitations on SASL mechanism names.

I would also note that the likelyhood of registering another SCRAM
mechanism name is quite low, and the likelyhood of the conflict
described above is even lower, so I wouldn't worry too much about this
case anyway.