RE: [mpls] Last Call: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-requirements (Requirementsfor OAM in MPLS Transport Networks) to Proposed Standard

2009-10-08 02:43:43
Rui,

While a co-author of the draft proposing re-use of Y.1731 OAM for MPLS-TP,
and quite understanding the reasoning behind reusing existing formats,
I am puzzled by two of your statements.

First, that Y.1731 CCMs "would ease more vendor's implementations to
converge to the 50ms protection timescale".
One of the major problems with Y.1731 is the lack of a 100 packet per second
rate, forcing the use of 300 packets per second at high resource cost.
I feel that 50 ms protection requirements are the best reason NOT to use Y.1731.

Second, "that the mechanisms in Y.1731 are sufficiently simple
to allow some "hardwarization".
The other main fault with Y.1731 is its fracturing of the capabilities
among so many different OAM message types,
rather than realizing that there are really only two OAM types
(one way and reflecting), with options for various monitoring or measurement
functions.
If you only need CCMs, yes Y.1731 is easy (but so is any other heartbeat
format).
Once you want to do CCs, CCs for protection (G.8031/G.8032 require their own),
packet loss measurement, and delay measurement, it becomes a nightmare.

Y(J)S