Re: Last Call: draft-dusseault-http-patch (PATCH Method for HTTP) to Proposed Standard

2009-10-27 12:51:10
The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:

- 'PATCH Method for HTTP '
  <draft-dusseault-http-patch-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This could be sort of a nitpick, but....

It seems to me that this could be used for both simple sequences of
bytes, and for much more complex entities.  The latter case could
include, say, a relational database table (where the patch might be to
insert an entry, change a cell, remove an attribute, etc.), or even a
database consisting of several tables (where the patch might include
inserting or modifying several entries).  Maybe I missed it, but I
didn't see anything that clarifies this.

If we don't want to just take that for granted, I suggest the
following text (or something similar) be inserted after the first
sentence in Section 2: "The nature of the resource may vary, from a
simple sequence of literal stored bytes (i.e., a file), to any kind of
much more complex entity.  Therefore, the nature of the patch may
vary, from simple addition, removal, or modification of a series of
bytes, to any type of modifying operation that may be specified on any
type of resource, such as deletion of objects within a database,
modification of permissions on a file, or starting or stopping a
service."

Or am I misinterpreting, overanalyzing, overexplaining, etc?

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson - Have Pun, Will Babble | Work: davearonson.com | /\ ASCII