Re: Circle of Fifths

2009-10-31 12:08:35

"Millions of dollars of PR value"? What exactly does that mean, Paul?
More to the point: How is ICANN funded? Unless I'm mistaken, they are
funded by registrar/registry fees and, yes, application for new TLD
fees, all of which comes from a healthy domain industry. That's not to
say that ICANN shouldn't or couldn't fund technical work of course,
but let's be clear about how the money is actually flowing.

And with sponsorship money comes a whole lot of things that we geeks
have typically wanted to stay well clear of such as "value" for the
sponsors in a number of different ways, but yes, I agree we may not
be able to stay pure forever.

The press release may not have mentioned the IETF, but the work of the
technical community certainly WAS mantioned directly as well as
indirectly during this entire event. Maybe we should ask Thomas Narten
to summarise this for us, he is the IETF-ICANN liaison.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj