Re: Last Call: draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns (Multicast DNS) to Informational RFC

2009-12-02 09:28:02
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 04:21:02PM -0800, SM wrote:

  "Note that this use of the ".local." suffix falls under IETF/IANA
  jurisdiction, not ICANN jurisdiction."

This draft mentions that the IETF has the authority to instruct IANA to
reserve pseudo-TLDs as required for protocol design purposes.  There is
no action requested from IANA for ".local" in the IANA Considerations
section.

There is in fact a request, it's just made indirectly.  That was my
complaint.

I'm aware that the draft claims this is an IETF/IANA responsibility
and not an ICANN one.  I'm not sure I'm convinced, and I think the
IESG should take that into account when making their decision about
the draft.  But I don't think it's a reason to hold it up anyway.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.