Re: Last Call: draft-gennai-smime-cnipa-pec (Certified Electronic Mail) to Proposed Standard

2009-12-11 12:05:40
Folks,

After reviewing IETF Last Call comments on gennai-smime-cnipa-pec, I have
decided to request IESG evaluation for publication as-is in an Informational
RFC.

It is my judgement that the community does not support progression on the
standards track.   Given the level of implementation and adoption, I think it
is definitely appropriate to publish an Informational RFC documenting their
experience.  However, the cross area review prompted by IETF Last Call raised
some issues that had not been identified when this document was discussed in
smime.

I would like to see the issues raised in IETF Last Call corrected in a
following standards track RFC, and am interested in opinions on whether such an
RFC should be pursued in the IETF, and what working groups (if any) might be a
candidate for such a project.  That was the original intent of the authors when
they first brought their draft to the smime working group.  I should also note
that they have no problem giving change control to the IETF, since that was a
topic of concern during IETF Last Call..

Thanks,

Tim Polk