Re: [Fecframe] Last Call: draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec (DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection) to Informational RFC

2009-12-14 11:48:24
On 30 Nov 2009, at 15:35, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the FEC Framework WG (fecframe) to
consider the following document:

- 'DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection '
  <draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2009-12-14. Exceptionally,
comments may be sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03.txt

I understand, from previous conversations with the author, that the aim of this draft is "to explain how one can use IETF specs to implement AL-FEC protocol". That's a fine goal, and this draft does a reasonable job in providing such an explanation.

However, I believe - as I previously stated in the working group - that the relationship between this draft and the DVB AL-FEC specification is not clearly defined. While the abstract is reasonably clear on the relationship, the title and introduction suggest that this draft is the DVB AL-FEC protocol, rather than being implementation guidelines for the DVB AL-FEC protocol. One way to address this might be to change the title of the draft to "Guidelines for Implementing DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection", and to add a few clarifying sentences to the introduction.

I have no problems with the technical content of the draft.

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/