Re: Most bogus news story of the week

2009-12-18 15:37:37
"Bogus" because it's a bad idea or because the reporter significantly
misunderstood/misrepresented what the suggestion is actually about?

I read the story, and I think the reporter understood the discussion
pretty well, except perhaps for the distinction between capacity and
traffic.

We all know that networks in the US and other developed countries are
rarely willing to peer with networks in less developed countries, so
transit money tends to flow from the LDCs to the US.  The LDCs have
always hated that, since it is the exact opposite of the phone system
where they carefully track the minutes in each direction and the
settlement money has historically gushed from the developed countries
to the LDCs.  So they want the ITU to make rules that the Internet has
to work like the phone system, at least financially.  The Chinese,
being sophisticated, would presumably also like detailed traffic stats
so they know who's talking to whom.

I don't understand ITU politics well enough to know how much of an
issue this is likely to be in practice.  I know the US has some
carveouts in its agreements to implement ITU standards, e.g., our
phone system signalling is entirely different from theirs, and have no
idea how that would affect an ITU decision that might apply via the US
to ICANN.

R's,
John