RE: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2009-12-24 01:53:31
Hi,
I am not sure but are you suggesting that the IETF will define the
requirements, metric and quality assessment requirements and all proposed
codecs should provide the results and then the WG will choose the best codec
bases without discussing the codec itself. This is what I would call a
selection process (at least in ITU terms).
The problem is that the IETF process allows anyone to contribute to existing
work hopefully leading to a better the end result.
What about the change control, does it stay with the original contributor or
can the IETF modify the codec based on input from other parties, which means
that the codec may change by the IETF anyhow.
Thanks
Roni Even

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Robert Elz
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:40 PM
To: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)
Cc: iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

    Date:        Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:48:18 +0200
    From:        "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)"
<hannes(_dot_)tschofenig(_at_)nsn(_dot_)com>

  | That's something for the working group to figure out.
  | My experience: things are typically more complicated than they
initially
  | look like.

Yes, of course, but the proposed charter goes to great lengths to point
out why solutions from the first and third of the three categories of
existing codecs are no good, but it more or less ignored the middle
category - then, it seemed to me, more or less demanded that a new
codec
(or perhaps codecs) be developed.

That's the wrong approach, the emphasis should be on adopting something
that exists, if at all possible, and only inventing something new if
there really is no other choice.

That's why I'd prefer the charter to be revised with that in mind.

  | WG charters are also written for those who have not followed the
history
  | of the work very closely. These folks typically need a bit more
  | background information.

Yes, but no-one needs that much ... (no need to delete all of that
stuff about encumbered technology, just most of it)

kre