What is this with these confirmation messages?

2009-12-24 16:25:03
All IETF mailing list seem to now require this &%!$# confirmation procedure.
This particular message was rather ironic; I was sending a request to
"postmaster(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org"! Who decided to implement this filtering, and
why did they do such a poor job of it?

Whose

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-action(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-action(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:20 PM
To: Christian Huitema
Subject: Confirm:
ietf-action(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org:phQqLmSzPbBA:BttiZVJDKqxGAJxkqjzyRLPoJnA_T9FrS9ksVw

Confirmation of list posting -- confirmation ID: phQqLmSzPbBA

The ietf.org mailing-list server has received a list posting from
huitema(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com to ietf-action(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org with the
subject
'Why am I receieving this message?'

As the sender address isn't subscribed to the list, and has not been
confirmed earlier, we have to request a confirmation of the address.
To confirm the address, send a message to ietf-action(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
with the same subject line as this message.

(Simply sending a 'reply' to this message should work from most email
interfaces, since that usually leaves the subject line in the right
form.  The reply's additional "Re:" is ok.)

If you do not wish your posting to the list to go through, simply
disregard this message.  Questions to postmaster(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)