Re: [AFS3-std] Re: Last Call: draft-allbery-afs-srv-records (DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS) to Proposed Standard

2010-02-04 13:36:03
At 15:27 03-02-10, Russ Allbery wrote:
I guess I'm not clear on what you think the correct fix is.  I'm hesitant
to use a lowercase "should" in a document that explicitly references RFC
2119, since then it's ambiguous what that is supposed to mean in terms of
a standard requirement.

If I was quoting RFC 1034, I would use the same text. That is to avoid having different interpretations if people doing "copy and paste" editing reuse the text from the draft.

In the first sentence of that paragraph, you have clearly explained that the SRV record information is no longer valid after the time-to-live. You already have a requirement in that paragraph (information derived from the DNS SRV RR MUST be discarded).

Quoting some text from RFC 2181:

  "In some sections it may seem that a specification is worded mildly,
   and hence some may infer that the specification is optional.  That
   is not correct.  Anywhere that this memo suggests that some action
   should be carried out, or must be carried out, or that some
   behaviour is acceptable, or not, that is to be considered as a
   fundamental aspect of this specification, regardless of the
   specific words used.  If some behaviour or action is truly
   optional, that will be clearly specified by the text."

If what the reader is supposed to do and why it should be done is clearly explained, there is no ambiguity. We can only hope that common sense will prevail.