A clarification of what I said (was Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost . . . )

2010-02-12 11:26:16
On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:29:00AM +0100, Alfred Hönes wrote:

(3)
I also concur with Andrew that having different requirement levels
in a fundamental protocol that does not allow negotiation of
crypto-algorithms also causes severe deployability concerns.

I want to be perfectly clear: I did not say that; neither did I imply
it.  I don't know that I believe it.  The statement to which I think
you are referring was merely an attempt to focus the discussion opened
by my esteemed co-Chair, thereby to make sure that we stick to the
question of picking algorithm support levels _for DNSSEC_, and not in
general.  So I was pointing out a feature of DNSSEC that is different
from at least some other contexts.

For the record, I refuse to have a personal opinion one way or the
other on what the IESG should do with the draft in question.  I
believe the WG decided to support its publication, and in my capacity
as Chair I feel duty-bound to promote that support.  I am not the
shepherd for this document, however, and I have no stake in the
outcome.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com