Re: IAB statement on the RPKI.

2010-02-14 05:23:41
Hello,
At 02:55 12-02-10, IAB Chair wrote:
IAB statement on the RPKI.

= RPKI as a prerequisite for improving the security of the global
   routing system.

It would be preposterous of me to disagree with the opinion of the learned members of the IAB.

= Implementation considerations

 The notion of having a certification hierarchy with multiple equally
 trusted roots may be appealing from a social and political perspective
 because of 'fairness' and 'equality' arguments. But that notion
 allows different organizations to make inconsistent and conflicting
 assertions about to whom a particular address block has been
 allocated. In the case of conflicting assertions, the conflict would
 need to be solved by each relying party, requiring each relying party
 to have their own security policy and the associated increased
 complexity. Such an approach does not provide any guarantee that the
 outcome would lead to a globally coherent view of which resources
 have been allocated to whom.

The most important factor in choosing a security mechanism is the threat model. That is, who may be expected to attack what resource, using what sorts of mechanisms? (RFC 3631).

What follows is a work of fiction.

    The taller man shut the folder and smiled.  "This is a wonderful
  statement.  Just Perfect."

    "Thank you," said the white-haired man seated across from him.
  "The author is a very good  writer."  He shifted slowly, uncrossing
  his legs.  He leaned forward, causing the leather seat to groan.
  "Along with this afternoon's briefing, this is really going to
  accelerate matters.  You know that, don't you?"

    "Of course," the taller man said.  He put his coffee mug on a small
  table, rose, and walked to the fireplace.  He picked up a poker.
  "Does that scare you?"

   "A little," the white-haired man admitted.

    "Why?" the taller man asked as he threw the folder into the flames".
  It caught fire quickly.  "Our tracks are covered."

    "It is not us I'm worried about.  There will be a price," the
  white-haired man said sadly.

    "We've discussed this before," the taller man said. "The policy
  people will love it."

This is an edited version of the text from Divide and conquer written by Jeff Rovin, Tom Clancy and Steve R. Pieczenik. The quoted text should not be considered as an IETF Contribution as the author of this message does not control the rights to the material.

Regards,
-sm