Gen-ART review for draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-null-heuristics-05.txt

2010-02-15 22:59:54
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer for
this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-null-heuristics-05.txt
Reviewer: Spencer Dawkins
Review Date: 2010-02-15 (sorry!)
IETF LC End Date: 2010-02-10
IESG Telechat date: (not known)
1.2.  Terminology

  IPsec Flow

     An IPsec flow is a stream of packets sharing the same source IP,
     destination IP, protocol (ESP/AH) and SPI.  Strictly speaking, the
     source IP does not need to be as part of the flow identification,
     but as it can be there depending on the receiving implementation
     it is safer to assume it is always part of the flow
     identification.

Spencer (clarity): Last sentence is difficult to parse. My suggestion is to
use something like

An IPsec flow is a stream of packets sharing the same source IP, destination
IP, protocol (ESP/AH) and SPI.  Strictly speaking, the source IP does not
need to be as part of the flow identification, but it can be. For this
reason, it is safer to assume that the source IP is always part of the flow
indentification.

2.1.  AH

  The another problem is that in the new IPsec Architecture [RFC4301]

Spencer (clarity): "The second problem" or "Another Problem" here...

  the support for AH is now optional, meaning not all implementations
  support it.  ESP-NULL has been defined to be mandatory to implement
  by the Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements for
  Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) document [RFC4835].

  AH has also quite complex processing rules compared to ESP when
  calculating the ICV, including things like zeroing out mutable
  fields, also as AH is not as widely used than ESP, the AH support is
  not as well tested in the interoperability events.

Spencer (clarity): I think there needs to be a semicolon or other break
before "also".

2.2.  Mandating by Policy

  Another easy way to solve this problem is to mandate the use of ESP-
  NULL with common parameters within an entire organization.  This
  either removes the need for heuristics (if no ESP encrypted traffic
  is allowed at all) or simplifies them considerably (only one set of
  parameters needs to be inspected, e.g. everybody in the organization
  who is using ESP-NULL must use HMAC-SHA-1-96 as their integrity
  algorithm).  This does not work unless one of a pair of communicating
  machines is not under the same administrative domain as the deep

Spencer (minor): I don't understand. I expected this to say "DOES work
unless". The text says that's the only situation where it fails!

  inspection engine.  (IPsec Security Associations must be satisfactory
  to all communicating parties, so only one communicating peer needs to
  have a sufficiently narrow policy.)  Also, such a solution might
  require some kind of centralized policy management to make sure
  everybody in an administrative domain uses the same policy.

Spencer (minor): Is it fair to point out that this type of heuristic will
make changing the common attribute value you're looking for more difficult?
If you decide to move away from HMAC-SHA-1-96, for instance...

3.  Description of Heuristics

  As described in section 7, UDP encapsulated ESP traffic may also have
  have NAPT applied to it, and so there is already a 5-tuple state in
  the stateful inspection gateway

Spencer (nit): missing period for this sentence.

4.  IPsec flows

  ESP is a stateful protocol, meaning there is state stored in the both

Spencer (nit): s/the both/both/

  end nodes of the ESP IPsec SA, and the state is identified by the
  pair of destination IP and SPI.  End nodes also often fix the source
  IP address in an SA unless the destination is a multicast group.
  Typically most (if not all) flows of interest to an intermediate
  device are unicast, so it is safer to assume the receiving node also
  uses a source address, and the intermediate device should therefore
  do the same.  In some cases this might cause extraneous cached ESP
  IPsec SA flows, but by using the source address two distinct flows
  will never be mixed.  For sites which heavily use multicast, such
  traffic is deterministically identifiable (224.0.0.0/4 for IPv4 and
  ff00::0/8 for IPv6), and an implementation can save the space of
  multiple cache entries for a multicast flow by checking the
  destination address first.

  There are several reasons why a single packet might not be enough to
  detect type of flow.  One of them is that the next header number was
  unknown, i.e. if heuristics do not know about the protocol for the
  packet, it cannot verify it has properly detected ESP-NULL
  parameters, even when the packet otherwise looks like ESP-NULL.  If
  the packet does not look like ESP-NULL at all, then encrypted ESP
  status can be returned quickly.  As ESP-NULL heuristics should know
  the same protocols as a deep inspection device, an unknown protocol
  should not be handled any differently than a cleartext instance of an
  unknown protocol if possible.

Spencer (minor): Are you saying that it might not be possible to handle the
two things the same way? I don't understand why. Prohibited by policy, sure,
and there may be other reasons to treat them differently, but I don't understand why this is "should" ...

6.  Special and Error Cases

  Each ESP-NULL flow should also keep statistics about how many packets
  have been detected as garbage by deep inspection, how many have
  passed checks, or how many have failed checks with policy violations
  (i.e. failed because actual inspection policy failures, not because

Spencer (clarity): s/because actual/because of actual/

  the packet looked like garbage).  If the number of garbage packets
  suddenly increases (e.g. most of the packets start to be look like
  garbage according to the deep inspection engine), it is possible the
  old ESP-NULL SA was replaced by an identical-SPI encrypting ESP SA.
  If both ends use random SPI generation, this is a very unlikely
  situation (1 in 2^32), but it is possible that some nodes reuse SPI
  numbers (e.g. a 32-bit memory address of the SA descriptor), thus
  this situation needs to be handled.

8.1.  ESP-NULL format

  The currently defined ESP authentication algorithms have 4 different
  lengths for the ICV field.  Most commonly used is 96 bits, and after
  that comes 128 bit ICV lengths.

Spencer (clarity): the second sentence in this paragraph is confusing, but I
think it's also unnecessary. I suggest dropping it... the next paragraph
replaces it nicely, anyway.

  Different ICV lengths for different algorithm:

      Algorithm                           ICV Length
      -------------------------------     ----------
      AUTH_HMAC_MD5_96                    96
      AUTH_HMAC_SHA1_96                   96
      AUTH_AES_XCBC_96                    96
      AUTH_AES_CMAC_96                    96
      AUTH_HMAC_SHA2_256_128              128
      AUTH_HMAC_SHA2_384_192              192
      AUTH_HMAC_SHA2_512_256              256

                                Figure 2

  In addition to the ESP authentication algorithms listed above, there
  is also encryption algorithm ENCR_NULL_AUTH_AES_GMAC which does not
  provide confidentiality but provides authentication, just like ESP-
  NULL does.  This algorithm has ICV Length of 128 bits, and it also
  requires eight bytes of IV.

Spencer (clarity): I'd add this algorithm to the table, and remove the first
part of the sentence so that you're just describing one of the table
entries.

8.2.  Self Describing Padding Check

  At this point a maximum of 1.6% of packets remain, so the next header

Spencer (minor): If I'm following you, this isn't "1.6% of packets", it's
"1.6% of possible byte values", or something like that, right?

  number is inspected.  If the next header number is known (and
  supported) then the packet can be inspected based on the next header
  number.  If the next header number is unknown (i.e. not any of those
  with protocol checking support) the packet is marked "unsure",
  because there is no way to detect the IV length without inspecting
  the inner protocol payload.

8.3.  Protocol Checks

  The worst case scenario is when an end node starts up communication,
  i.e. it does not have any previous flows through the device.
  Heuristics will run on the first few packets received from the end
  node.  The later subsections mainly cover these bring up cases, as

Spencer (clarity): suggest s/bring up/start-up/, or something like that.

  they are the most difficult.

8.3.1.  TCP checks

  The most obvious field, TCP checksum, might not be usable, as it is
  possible that the packet has already transited a NAT box, thus the IP
  numbers used in the checksum are wrong, thus the checksum is wrong.

Spencer (minor): this isn't something I'm smart about, but would you expect
to see NAT boxes changing IP addresses and not fixing-up transport
checksums? That's begging for the receiver of these packets to discard them
based on checksum mismatches, isn't it? I know a NAT could be doing
anything, but that that seems short-sighted.

  One good method of detection is if a packet is dropped then the next
  packet will most likely be a retransmission of the previous packet.

Spencer (minor): is this true when you have a transmit window size greater
than one packet, so that more than one packet is outstanding? I agree with
the heuristic, but not with the statement that it's a "good method of
detection" - I don't think it will be triggered very often for web browsers,
or or TCP-based streaming media, or anything that's not stop-and-wait.

  Thus if two packets are received with the same source, and
  destination port numbers, and where sequence numbers are either same
  or right after each other, then it's likely a TCP packet has been
  correctly detected.

8.3.4.  SCTP checks

  SCTP chunks can be inspected to see if their lengths are consistent
  across the total length of the IP datagram, so long as TFC padding is
  not present.

Spencer (nit): could you expand "TFC" (this is the first usage in the document)?

9.  Security Considerations

  Using ESP-NULL or especially forcing using of it everywhere inside
  the enterprise can have increased risk of sending confidential
  information where eavesdroppers can see it.

Spencer (minor): I'm not arguing with this statement, I'm just confused by it. "Increased risk" compared to what? Saying that forbidding encrypted ESP makes it easier to eavesdrop doesn't seem profound - was that what you meant?