Re: WG Review: Recharter of IP Security Maintenance and Extensions (ipsecme)

2010-02-20 14:05:56

  Hi Jari,

  I don't believe the simpler solution will increase code size or
complexity when compared to the the reuse EAP solution. In fact,
it will be less on both counts.

  In both cases the core key exchange will have to be implemented
and in both cases some configuration glue will be needed. But in the
reuse EAP solution there is the added code to implement an EAP client
and its accompanying state machine, which no IKEv2 gateway currently
needs to implement. In addition, a true EAP server, and accompanying
state machine, will need to be implemented and IKEv2 gateways will
no longer get away with just being a "pass through authenticator".
The reuse EAP solution will also have to implement some new
fragmentation/reassembly code since EAP methods (like ones supporting
"weak" shared secrets) have to roll-their-own. The reuse EAP solution
will also have to implement other, unneeded, exchanges (which is why the
roundtrips/overhead are greater). When you compare the two, it really
is obvious that trying to use EAP in this case increases code size and
complexity versus just doing the exchange as part of IKE.

  EAP is attractive because it provides a generic authentication solution,
but here there is really only one type of authentication to do-- using a
"weak" shared secret. It is also attractive because authentication can be
centralized with one server serving many network access points. But in
this case both sides must have possession of the shared secret and both
sides must be capable of initiating the exchange so use of a centralized
server is not possible. So all of the attractive features of EAP do not
apply and we're left with the undesirable features of EAP-- duplicate
identity exchanges, yet more fragmentation/reassembly code, and
pointless overhead.

  I don't think it's better architecturally to reuse EAP in this situation.
EAP is a network access protocol where one side attempts to obtain network
access from another. There are strict roles played in EAP. In this
situation there are no roles and creating a host-to-host SA or network-
to-network SA is not really the same thing as obtaining network access.

  There are some things that EAP is not appropriate for and this is
one of them.

  regards,

  Dan.