Re: REVISED Last Call: draft-turner-asymmetrickeyformat (Asymmetric Key Packages) to Proposed Standard

2010-03-04 16:36:28

I was just looking at this draft and thinking about the IANA registration for
the  application/pkcs8 media type. Right now that registration is in
draft-ietf-sip-certs draft which this draft references. When you think about it
for a minute, it make no sense to define that mime type in a SIP draft. It
really should be in this draft-turner-asymmetrickeyformat  draft. I only got
put in the sip-certs draft because it was not defined anywhere else when the
sip-certs text was written.

I'm think we should move the media registration from sip-certs to this draft
and drop the reference. This put it in the right place, will make it easier for
others to find it, and will avoid any weird circular dependencies or
strangeness as things move up the standards ladder.

Specifically I think we should remove the reference to RFCTBD3 and move the
following text from sip-certs into draft-turner-asymmetrickeyformat  so that
section 7 becomes

7.  IANA Considerations

   This specification defines a new mime type that IANA is requested to add to
the
   registry at:
      http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application

   To: ietf-types(_at_)iana(_dot_)org
   Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/pkcs8

   MIME media type name: application

   MIME subtype name: pkcs8

   Required parameters: None

   Optional parameters: None

   Encoding considerations: binary

   Security considerations: Carries a cryptographic private key

   Interoperability considerations:
        The PKCS#8 object inside this MIME type MUST be DER-encoded

   Published specification:
        Kaliski, B., "Public-Key Cryptography Standards (PKCS) #8:
        Private-Key Information Syntax Specification Version 1.2",
        RFC 5208, May 2008.

   Applications which use this media type: Any MIME-compliant transport

   Additional information:
     Magic number(s): None
     File extension(s): .p8
     Macintosh File Type Code(s): none

   Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Sean Turner <turners(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Author/Change controller:
     the IESG

Sound reasonable to you?

Cullen <with my co-author of draft-ietf-sip-cert hat on>