Re: Rationale for public, non-subscribable mailing lists

2010-04-18 15:59:11
On 2010-04-19 08:29, Florian Weimer wrote:
I've recently tried to subscribe to the SECDIR list.  Apparently, this
list is public (it's archived on the web), but one cannot subscribe to
it.

The question is: Why would anyone configure things this way?  It's
really, really odd.

(It was suggested to me that I posted something to the SECDIR list,
that's why I tried to subscribe to it first.  It's not that I care
very much about this particular mailing list.  I'm just curious about
the phenomenon in general.)

Because IETF teams should operate in public view as much as possible,
and particularly teams whose main job is document review. But by
simple logic, only team *members* will actually be on the list.

I agree, it occasionally leads to list moderation issues.

    Brian