Re: another document categorization suggestion

2010-04-22 00:39:39
On 22 Apr 2010, at 01:55, james woodyatt wrote:
After just now finding the root cause of yet another stupid interoperability
problem to be an interaction between a client not choosing a sufficiently
unique host/session identifier and a server being overly clever about using
said identifiers for purposes other than intended in the protocol
specification...

WHEREAS the IETF has no document category for dealing with material that is
unfit for Standards Track, that does not in any way describe Best Current
Practice, provides Information of questionable utility, which is neither yet
limited to Historical interest nor of merely Experimental nature...

BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED that IETF should create a new document category for
Disinformation, and that RFC 2516 should immediately and with extreme
prejudice be reclassified as such without further discussion.

I think what we're really looking for in cases like this is a document subset
called RWD, or Real World Deployment.  This subset comprises of notes stating
the necessary information that couldn't possible be included in specifications
for any number of good reasons, but which assist those implementing those
specifications to avoid the next incoming arrow of misfortune that results from
trying to interoperate with the incredible array of brain-dead implementations
using the dubious interpretations that exist, perhaps just to the benefit of
the IETF, for whom these concerns are perhaps greater than those of the vendor.

As a concession to avoiding further bureaucracy, because we get enough of that
as it is, and as an aid to IETF sponsorship, special offers should be made
concerning vendor recognition in such documents.  The hopeful consequence of
this is that the subset should be modest in size, if not purpose, and will
remain so for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
Sabahattin