Re: review of draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke-06

2010-05-03 17:33:06
"Dan Harkins" <dharkins(_at_)lounge(_dot_)org> writes:

  Issues with prf and prf+

  - In sections 5.1 and 5.2 the password is passed directly into prf+
    (which is the same as the one from RFC 2409 and uses HMAC-SHA1 or
    HMAC-SHA256). This is a key derivation type function and assumes it
    has been passed a key having properties, like a uniformly random
    distribution, that a low-entropy password does not have.

    I recommend deriving a key for Encr() in a 2-step process using and
    "extractor and expander" KDF. It might also be good to mention that
    the first, leftmost, length-of-cipher-key bits are used as the cipher
    key.

I agree with your comments.  However would not salting and an iterative
design, as provided by PKCS#5 PBKDF2, be more appropriate than
extract-and-expand?  See section 4 of the extract-and-expand document to
see why it is not always appropriate for passwords.

  - Section 5.1 says "If the password is non-ASCII, it SHOULD be normalized
    by the sender before the EAP-EKE message is constructed. The
    normalization method is SASLprep, [RFC4013]. Note that the password
    is not null-terminated."

    I don't think this will work. The SHOULD should be a MUST and the
    mention of SASLprep should use normative language-- i.e. it "MUST
    be SASLprep". Is there a mandatory-to-implement format? Is support
    for ASCII a MUST? Also, there's no mention of unassigned code points?
    What happens if one of these is hit during normalization? I don't
    believe the text as written will assure interoperability and it will
    also be a DISCUSS target, said using the voice of experience :-)

I agree strongly with this comment as well.

  Issues with elliptic curves cryptography

This raises a question.  What is the patent status of the technologies
used by this document?  I recall concerns with some non-HMAC-based
password based authentication protocols.

/Simon