Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-netlmm-mip-interactions (Interactions betweenPMIPv6 and MIPv6: scenarios and related issues) to Informational RFC

2010-05-04 10:06:06

Hello folks,

Here are the rest of my comments on the
abovementioned Internet Draft.

>           For this reason, it is recommended that when the MIPv6 home
>  link is implemented as a PMIPv6 domain, the HA/LMA implementation
>  treats the two protocol as independent.

Why not first recommend that the HA/LMA implement some
platform-specific mechanism for identifying the alternate
identifiers (e.g., MN-ID and MN-HoA)?

>    "More in details the following principles ..."

-->  "In more detail, the following principles ..."

>    "   ...  The mobile node needs to bootstrap"

-->  "   ...  The mobile node may need to bootstrap"

>  service continuity.  Therefore the following steps must be performed
>  by the UE:

-->

   service continuity.  Therefore the following steps might be
   performed by the MN:

In the following steps one and two: "needs to" --> "may need to"
In step three: "assign" --> "may assign"

"Since all these steps must" --> "If all these steps must"

"that the mobile node establishes" --> "that the mobile node establish"
or, better:
>                                               it is recommended
>    that the mobile node establishes
-->
                                 "the mobile node SHOULD establish"
along with a little rewording of the next subordinate clause.

"has Mobile IPv6 stack active"
--> "continues to make use of Mobile IPv6"

"as if it is attached" --> "as if it were attached"
-- BUT: in the scenario under discussion, isn't it?

[boot-integrated]:
        This citation needs to be updated; and, apparently it now
        has a distinguished author as well as an editor.  But, it's
        been in the RFC editor's queue for TWO YEARS?!  That's a
        new one on me.

"MN-HoA.For" --> "MN-HoA.  For"
        is this a bug in xml2rfc?

>                                          For this reason, the mobile
>  node must be configured to propose MN-HoA as the home address in the
>  IKEv2 INTERNAL_IP6_ADDRESS attribute during the IKEv2 exchange with
>  the HA/LMA.

I think this qualifies as another requirement placed by PMIP
on MIPv6 nodes.  Maybe it would be a good idea to make a new
section and list these requirements newly placed by PMIP.

I'm starting to wonder whether these new mandates might
belong in rfc3775bis.

"When the mobile node hands over" --> "When the mobile node migrates to"
        <basestations perform handovers, not mobile nodes>

>                                                                The
>    mobile node may set the R bit defined in NEMO specification

a) citation required for "NEMO specification"
b) "NEMO specification" --> "the NEMO specification"
c) _ouch_!  Now we have a new mandate placed by PMIP onto NEMO.<!>

"is created irrespective" --> "may be created regardless"
        <I think it is unwise to prohibit implementers from
         coordinating the binding cache entries of PMIP and
         MIPv6 if they serve the same mobile node, as I have
         mentioned earlier>

"In this section it is assumed"
-->
"In this section we consider the case where"

> 4.3.  Solutions related to scenario B

This conflicts with the sentence in section 1: