Re: Last Call: draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftp-hosts (File Transfer Protocol HOST Command) to Proposed Standard

2010-05-12 10:57:15

On 2010-05-12, at 09:28, Barry Leiba wrote:

It would be a mistake to build a further array of individual,
uncoordinated extensions to FTP.

I'm actually slightly surprised that anybody is considering enhancements to FTP
in 2010.

I would have thought that given standardised alternatives which are kinder to
firewalls and more secure the logical next step would be to publish guidance
that advises against using FTP, outlines the reasons why, and points people
towards more suitable protocols. Unless I'm missing some use-case where FTP is
actually superior to (say) HTTP, or SSH/SFTP?

Joe