Re: URI IPR

2010-05-21 09:31:40
Marshall

Here is another mailing list for you, v6ops, except that this has no 'Note Well'
at all, just

#### No info available for v6ops

This is another 'non-IETF' list but is a (sometimes:-) active WG; it also never
sends out monthly reminders so I imagine noone on it ever sees a 'Note Well'.

(And it has not got a web interface, as far as I can see:-(.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv>
To: "t.petch" <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "Trustees"
<trustees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: URI IPR

On May 14, 2010, at 8:26 AM, t.petch wrote:

Signing up to the URI list, I find it tells me, inter alia, that

"All IETF Contributions are subject to the rules of RFC 3978 and RFC
3979.

Statements made outside of an IETF session, mailing list or other
function, that are clearly not intended to be input to an IETF
activity,
group or function, are not IETF Contributions in the context of this
notice.

Please consult RFC 3978 for details."

I was slightly surprised to see anything, since it is a list hosted
by the W3C
and not the IETF, and imagined that it was as much subject to their
rules than
the IETF's, but ...

Assuming that IETF rules are needed, should this have been updated
to the
replacement RFC?

Unlike the IETF lists, I have never seen a reminder on the URI list
about any
subscription so this 'Note Well' may be all anyone ever sees.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is a mailing list
for a WG concluded in 1995 and hosted elsewhere; I imagine that this
is just an oversight.

I will look into this for the Trust and see if we can get it updated.

Regards
Marshall

Tom Petch