Re: open protocols

2010-05-25 13:17:53
On 5/21/2010 7:13 AM, victor nunes wrote:
Hello, I would like to clarify a doubt about the RFCs

Copyright The IETF allows you to copy, publish RFCs?

All protocols that are part of the architecture of TCP / IP are open?

No. Only those protocols implemented on the basis of a specific license.
The IETF does NOT own the underlying license rights to TCP/IP in ANY WAY.

For the record TCP/IP actually probably still belongs to the US
Government as it was originally produced under a Department of Defense
contract with BB&N about 40 years ago and nothing about its ownership
has ever been handed over to anyone that I know of.

We can ask Len K and Vint Cerf though, they may be able to clear that up
some more. But my general gut feeling is that since the NTIA agreement
was never codified beyond the original MOU ICANN actually owns nothing.
So the ISOC's license (that's what the IETF produces its authority
under) holds no power over things it does not own like TCP for instance.

Todd Glassey

Thanks, Victor