Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-00

2010-06-21 10:57:41
On 6/20/10 6:01 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On 20/Jun/10 11:53, SM wrote:

This proposal removes Draft Standard and Internet Standard and replaces
it with Interoperable Standard. I won't quibble over the choice of the
name yet.

If there are two levels and the first one is "Proposed Standard", then
the other one ought to be "Accepted Standard", "Official Standard", or
something that truly reflects such change (which usually does not affect
its interoperability or security, as Yaron said.)

Here's an idea:

1. The first level is simply "Request for Comments".

Once an RFC is published, we start to gather comments. Naturally, we
need to write a process document that specifies in greater detail the
kinds of comments we are requesting -- i.e., regarding implementation,
deployment (the real meaning of "running code"), security as observed in
the real world, manageability, etc.

2. The second level is "Internet Standard".

Once we have gathered comments, we go through a "bis" process to
incorporate all of that feedback into an improved specification. We
obsolete the original Request for Comments and go on with our lives. We
still accept comments (errata etc.) about the Standard, but don't make
any substantive changes to it (unless we rev the protocol version).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/