Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-01

2010-06-26 02:25:23
On 2010-06-26 02:49, Russ Housley wrote:
Phillip:

Obviously, I was not General AD when this happened.  However, I was
Security AD at the time, so I was involved in the discussions that
included the whole IESG.

I made my reply to your posting because I want people to realize that
there is another side to the story.  We need to learn from the history,
but we need to act toward improving the future.

The IESG spent a huge amount of time on the NEWTRK documents in retreat.
 The ISD proposal hit the IESG in a very bad way.  The ISD proposal
required the IESG spend a lot of time that the individuals simply did
not have.  Further, this came at a very, very bad time.  Admin-Rest had
consumed way to many cycles.  Perhaps the 1-step or 2-step proposals
could have been separated from ISDs, but that was not the path that was
taken.  I do not know the reasons.

I was General AD at the time. There was certainly no meeting of the minds
between NEWTRK's rough consensus for the ISD proposal and the IESG's
understanding of what ISDs would mean in practice. Also there was no
sign of consensus in NEWTRK for moving to a 1-step or 2-step standards
process as a first step, rather than ISDs as the first step. So basically
we got collectively stuck. I tried setting up a special design team
to unstick us and that didn't work either.

Which is why, basically, I support the latest 2-step proposal, as a way
to unstick this discussion and move in the direction of simplicity.

    Brian

Russ