Re: Protocol for TCP heartbeats?

2010-06-28 08:49:23
A lot of the application code I've seen could be described as "second-guess one or more TCP timers, add pepper and salt, serve as desired". The second half of that is obviously not amenable to standardisation. The TCP stack cannot take any action. But the first part seems more... reasonable. I think the TCP stack can inform the application of its state, better than it does via the APIs I know.

Of course it's a local matter, not really IETFish. Where is the boundary these days? Didn't some RFC extend the Berkeley sockets API for v6?

Arnt