What does a privacy policy mean ?

2010-07-06 22:51:23
I think we all agree that having a privacy policy would be desirable,
in the sense that we are in favor of good, and opposed to evil.  But I
don't know what it means to implement a privacy policy, and I don't
think anyone else does either.

A privacy policy is basically a set of assertions about what the IETF
will do with your personal information.  To invent a strawman, let's
say that the privacy policy says that registration information will be
kept in confidence, and some newly hired clerk who's a little unclear
on the concept gives a list of registrants' e-mail addresses to a
conference sponsor so they can e-mail everyone an offer for a free
IETF tee shirt.

Then what happens?  Is a privacy policy a contract, and if it is, what
remedies do IETF participants have for non-performance?  And if it's
not, and there aren't remedies, what's the point?

R's,
John