Re: Last Call: draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

2010-07-18 17:24:31
Paul Hoffman replied..

> At 5:22 AM -0400 7/17/10, John C Klensin wrote:
>> (1) In Section 4.4.1, the reference should be to the IDNA2008 discussion.
>> The explanations are a little better vis-a-vis the DNS specs and it is a
>> bad idea to reference an obsolete spec.
>
> +1. I accept blame on this one, since I was tasked on an earlier version to
> bring the IDNA discussion up to date.

Well, I wrote the "traditional domain name" text in -tls-server-id-check, and yes I looked at IDNA2008, but only -idnabis-protocol I think, and missed -idnabis-defs where said discussion resides. So mea culpa. Yes, the latter discussion is even better than the one in IDNA2003. Thanks for catching this.

Here's a re-write of the first para of -tls-server-id-check Section 4.4.1, I've divided it into two paragraphs..

   The term "traditional domain name" is a contraction of this more
   formal and accurate name: "traditional US-ASCII
   letter-digit-hyphen DNS domain name". Note that
   letter-digit-hyphen is often contracted as "LDH". (Traditional)
   domain names were originally defined in [DNS-CONCEPTS] and
   [DNS] in conjunction with [HOSTS], though
   [I-D.ietf-idnabis-defs-13] provides a complete, up-to-date
   domain name label taxonomy.

   Traditional domain names consist of a set of one or more
   non-IDNA LDH labels (e.g., "www", "example", and "com"), with
   the labels usually shown separated by dots (e.g.,
   "www.example.com"). There are additional qualifications, see
   [I-D.ietf-idnabis-defs-13], but they are not germane to this
   specification.

how does that look?

thanks,

=JeffH