Re: Question - Can DNSSEC be operated in a manner which meets Khaled mandates?

2010-07-22 09:27:24
 On 7/21/2010 8:12 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
DNSSEC is not designed to address those particular issues.\
AMEN
X.509v3 is designed to address them, or at least is capable of doing
so if configured in the right way.
True - if its used correctly.
Now the question I think we should consider is what is going to happen
when all the people who read ICANN press releases that essentially
tell them that DNSSEC is capable of serving these security needs start
relying on the assumptions.
They will see ICANN's commentary and simply bring suit in California
Court now that Khaled opens that can of worms where the IETF refused to
allow those issues to be resolved.  If the DNSSEC model doesnt pass
muster there it's toast and I think we all know what would happen...
My strong belief is that the Internet needs one PKI not two and that
we should start looking about how to use the combination of DNSSEC and
X.509 so that we get the best from both. When people suggest using
DNSSEC for the type of purposes that they have previously used self
signed certs I do not get worried. But when they start suggesting
using DNSSEC as a replacement for cases where you need non-repudiation
or accountability, I get very worried.

So in Khaled is Redflex is trying to 'have the ruling unpublished'
claiming that they could have meet these requirements if they had been
given the chance, but the real issue here is whether the Court has an
obligation to hear claims about the process from third parties with a
financial interest in the matter.

Also Redflex was the party who captured that photo so it was aware of
the whole court process for that matter and chose not to attend. As such
it was Redflex's issue about not being there.

So assume DNSSEC is attacked in a California District Court as
'non-functional from an evidence perspective' which is something very
possibly and probable today.

You realize that Khaled affects all of the Businesses everywhere in the
4th District's sphere of influence and Jurisdiction?

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in the legal
side of technology take a look at the case whether they consider it
relevant to DNSSEC or not.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2010/ca-khaled.pdf

My reading of the case is that the appeals court knows that there are
much better processes and technical means that could have been used to
protect the chain of custody for the evidence in that case and they
want to ensure that their concerns are urgently attended to.
Meaning if DNSSEC is flawed - there are now precedents which can be used
easily in California Courts to make DNSSEC a nightmare come true...

I think the application of the ruling is dead on which is why I posted
it and I am also sure it will seriously annoy many Sr. Professional IETF
Standards people since it totally rains on their parade but since they
refused to address these issues or even allow the discussion of these
issues long ago - the IETF is once again standing waste deep in its own
sh*t.

Sorry folks but reality is what it is and it that is that it's  law that
shapes technology not the reverse.

Todd

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM, todd glassey